Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42

Thread: This Is A BIG F***ing Deal For The Deaf Community!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Muskogee.Oklahoma
    Posts
    9,424

    This Is A BIG F***ing Deal For The Deaf Community!

    One of the biggest bills for the deaf community was signed into law by President Obama today. It's called the Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act of 2010. What does this law do?

    For starters, it makes the Internet accessible to the deaf community by requiring television programming to be captioned on the Internet, a closed-caption button on television remotes, and hearing aid compatibility for smartphones.

    This is a big f***ing deal for me, because for a long time before Hulu started captioning some of their television broadcasts, a lot of television episodes on the internet weren't captioned, and we were left out as a result as deaf viewers. And it's really hard to get to the menu to display closed-captioning on HDTVs, and in some cases, these closed captioning displays were intentionally disabled. It was very confusing for many of my friends in the deaf community. Hearing aid compatibility on smartphones is also a big deal. I can hear on my iPhone 4G, but a lot of noise leaks out, and it's not compatible with my telecoil on my cochlear implant.

    slinkerwink's diary :: ::
    This law, signed by President Obama, will help alleviate many of these issues. It took three years for this law to happen since I last postedabout it here on Dailykos. A lot of people in the deaf community, including myself, lobbied Congress to pass this law, and it was one of the few bills to pass on a bipartisan vote. Ironically enough, this new law will also help create jobs for those who work in the captioning and accessibility field. It's basically a two-fer for President Obama---he gets to sign a law that helps change the lives of millions of deaf, hard-of-hearing, and deaf/blind Americans, and creates jobs as well!

    This new law will require any and every video that, first, is broadcast on television and, then, distributed via the Internet to include closed captioning. Additionally, devices that display video such as smart phones, mp3 players, and DVRs must be capable of closed captioning and displaying video description and emergency alerts. For the large and growing amount of video content that will be broadcast live in the years ahead — on television and over the Internet — there will be a growing need for, and appreciation of, stenographic court reporters who work as broadcast captioners. That is one reason the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics suggests that the court reporting profession will experience major growth in the years ahead, estimating that the profession will grow by 18 percent in the next eight years.

    So it might be a very good time to take classes in court reporting as a way to find a new job in this growing field. You can begin your research here in how to be an awesome captionist for deaf and hard-of-hearing Americans!

    Needless to say, I am very excited about the passage of this great law thanks to President Obama, but I do have to point out a major loophole that this law failed to address----captioning of online content for the Internet. Basically, companies that create web shows or videos for the Internet aren't required under this law to caption them. There's an effort underway by the great folks at Caption Action 2 to get these companies to caption their online content for the deaf and hard-of-hearing Americans. For more information on this loophole, you can see my earlier post on this subject at the National Association for the Deaf blog:

    Internet media companies are not currently required by law to offer internet captioning, so what they are offering in terms of internet captioning is great, but it doesn’t yet expand full access for the deaf and hard of hearing to the internet because of the different technical standards when it comes to downloading codecs, processing captioning files, and making sure that the caption files are synced with the audio feeds. We need a single technical standard to help make it easier for internet media companies like Hulu.com process caption files for their online content. Content providers should also be required to keep caption files with all the media that are downloaded for Internet use so the caption files can be available and decoded by currently available application tools.

    While we've won the fight on getting television content to be captioned on the Internet, the fight continues onward for internet media content to be captioned to provide equal accessibility for all viewers on the Internet. You can join the great effort by Caption Action 2 or support the work of the National Association of the Deaf by subscribing to their e-mail list to get the action updates to help improve accessibility for deaf people on the Internet.
    http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/20...Deaf-Community!
    "On the sixth day, God created man. On the seventh day, man returned the favor."
    http://www.house-mixes.com/profile/djchefron

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    8,625
    Deaf people ever understood our music... Why post?

    Idance

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,058
    Quote Originally Posted by dj-chefron View Post
    One of the biggest bills for the deaf community was signed into law by President Obama today. It's called the Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act of 2010. What does this law do?

    For starters, it makes the Internet accessible to the deaf community by requiring television programming to be captioned on the Internet, a closed-caption button on television remotes, and hearing aid compatibility for smartphones.

    This is a big f***ing deal for me, because for a long time before Hulu started captioning some of their television broadcasts, a lot of television episodes on the internet weren't captioned, and we were left out as a result as deaf viewers. And it's really hard to get to the menu to display closed-captioning on HDTVs, and in some cases, these closed captioning displays were intentionally disabled. It was very confusing for many of my friends in the deaf community. Hearing aid compatibility on smartphones is also a big deal. I can hear on my iPhone 4G, but a lot of noise leaks out, and it's not compatible with my telecoil on my cochlear implant.

    slinkerwink's diary :: ::
    This law, signed by President Obama, will help alleviate many of these issues. It took three years for this law to happen since I last postedabout it here on Dailykos. A lot of people in the deaf community, including myself, lobbied Congress to pass this law, and it was one of the few bills to pass on a bipartisan vote. Ironically enough, this new law will also help create jobs for those who work in the captioning and accessibility field. It's basically a two-fer for President Obama---he gets to sign a law that helps change the lives of millions of deaf, hard-of-hearing, and deaf/blind Americans, and creates jobs as well!

    This new law will require any and every video that, first, is broadcast on television and, then, distributed via the Internet to include closed captioning. Additionally, devices that display video such as smart phones, mp3 players, and DVRs must be capable of closed captioning and displaying video description and emergency alerts. For the large and growing amount of video content that will be broadcast live in the years ahead — on television and over the Internet — there will be a growing need for, and appreciation of, stenographic court reporters who work as broadcast captioners. That is one reason the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics suggests that the court reporting profession will experience major growth in the years ahead, estimating that the profession will grow by 18 percent in the next eight years.

    So it might be a very good time to take classes in court reporting as a way to find a new job in this growing field. You can begin your research here in how to be an awesome captionist for deaf and hard-of-hearing Americans!

    Needless to say, I am very excited about the passage of this great law thanks to President Obama, but I do have to point out a major loophole that this law failed to address----captioning of online content for the Internet. Basically, companies that create web shows or videos for the Internet aren't required under this law to caption them. There's an effort underway by the great folks at Caption Action 2 to get these companies to caption their online content for the deaf and hard-of-hearing Americans. For more information on this loophole, you can see my earlier post on this subject at the National Association for the Deaf blog:

    Internet media companies are not currently required by law to offer internet captioning, so what they are offering in terms of internet captioning is great, but it doesn’t yet expand full access for the deaf and hard of hearing to the internet because of the different technical standards when it comes to downloading codecs, processing captioning files, and making sure that the caption files are synced with the audio feeds. We need a single technical standard to help make it easier for internet media companies like Hulu.com process caption files for their online content. Content providers should also be required to keep caption files with all the media that are downloaded for Internet use so the caption files can be available and decoded by currently available application tools.

    While we've won the fight on getting television content to be captioned on the Internet, the fight continues onward for internet media content to be captioned to provide equal accessibility for all viewers on the Internet. You can join the great effort by Caption Action 2 or support the work of the National Association of the Deaf by subscribing to their e-mail list to get the action updates to help improve accessibility for deaf people on the Internet.
    http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/20...Deaf-Community!
    Thanks for posting.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,058
    Quote Originally Posted by the crackhouse View Post
    Deaf people ever understood our music... Why post?

    Idance
    My nephew is deaf and he understands this music (and other genres) because he feels the vibrations. And btw, he can dance!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Muskogee.Oklahoma
    Posts
    9,424
    Quote Originally Posted by the crackhouse View Post
    Deaf people ever understood our music... Why post?

    Idance
    "On the sixth day, God created man. On the seventh day, man returned the favor."
    http://www.house-mixes.com/profile/djchefron

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,058

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,096
    Whats that?

    Speak up sonnie- i can't hear you.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    52,066
    I've had some deaf people get the fuck down at one of my old spots,the Note.Like it's been said,they feel the vibrations and you can't help but feel house music.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    68,471
    Most of my biggest fans are deaf......JMJ
    THE DHP KING OF EDITS

    JMJ - Off The Deep End - Now on DHP Radio - Friday 3pm-5pm EST - http://dhpradio.com/jmj-off-the-deep-end.html
    Facebook me: facebook.com/kingofedits
    Podomatic me: http://jmjeditking.podomatic.com/
    Soundcloud me: http://soundcloud.com/jmj-edits

    2007 & 2010 Deep House Fantasy Football Champion
    2011 & 2012 back-to-back DHP Fantasy Baseball Champion

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,058

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    From the streets of Brooklyn, living in the burbs of Maryland
    Posts
    6,247
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    My biggest fan is deaf......JMJ
    Kelvin is deaf?
    The BK Show - Hosted by DJ Val Thursday's 8 PM www.DHPradio.com

    The BK Show - Hosted by DJ Val Monday's 8 PM (Bi-Weekly) www.CyberJamz.com


    http://djval-bkny11203.podOmatic.com

    http://soundcloud.com/djval_bkny11203

    2013 Deep House Fantasy Football Champion


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    8,625
    Quote Originally Posted by cleodine velvet jackson View Post
    My nephew is deaf and he understands this music (and other genres) because he feels the vibrations. And btw, he can dance!
    I know, I know... Being sarcastic, I saw many deaf peeps hanging at techno partys, they were hanging till 7' AM and having a blast.

    sis Cleo!

    Idance

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Chicago/Dekalb
    Posts
    4,135
    Quote Originally Posted by bkny11203 View Post
    Kelvin is deaf?
    Starting shit I see............
    Get to know me now so that one day you can say yeah I knew him back then......
    www.soundcloud.com/djkelvintheone


    http://djkelvinthe1.podOmatic.com

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    8,625
    Quote Originally Posted by dj-chefron View Post
    You do know that patronizing over a community is some of the first signs of disrespect?

    Get off your high horses and take the joke, everyone is a potential disabled person.

    Peace

    Idance

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Muskogee.Oklahoma
    Posts
    9,424
    Quote Originally Posted by the crackhouse View Post
    You do know that patronizing over a community is some of the first signs of disrespect?

    Get off your high horses and take the joke, everyone is a potential disabled person.

    Peace

    Idance
    I am disabled.Lived with myasthenia gravis for over 25 years now.Almost died twice when my lungs shut down and lost count on how many times I have been in the hospital,doctor visits and waking up sometimes feeling like shit.So I am not riding any high horse I just thought this was some news that you wouldnt hear from the village.
    "On the sixth day, God created man. On the seventh day, man returned the favor."
    http://www.house-mixes.com/profile/djchefron

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    19,855
    Quote Originally Posted by the crackhouse View Post
    Deaf people ever understood our music... Why post?

    Idance
    Please. I have deaf cousins and friends who get their life on a dancefloor!
    Learn SUBWOOFERS!

    ** Crackhouse...I know you hadn't nefarious intent here...there are some others I'd truly be gunning for.**
    Last edited by BrazenMuse; 10-08-2010 at 05:51 PM.
    www.myspace.com/templedynasty
    www.myspace.com/brazenmuse
    www.myspace.com/feliciatemple
    www.myspace.com/robdanoizetemple
    http://www.youtube.com/feliciatemple
    Louie "Lou" Gorbea:
    http://www.podomatic.com/profile/lgorbea and http://lougorbea.com/
    Mark Mendoza (280 West): markmendozamixes.blogspot.com
    "I'd rather have the kind of clear conscience that comes from doing what's right than the kind that comes from ignoring what's wrong." Me...8/13/07

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    8,625
    Quote Originally Posted by dj-chefron View Post
    I am disabled.Lived with myasthenia gravis for over 25 years now.Almost died twice when my lungs shut down and lost count on how many times I have been in the hospital,doctor visits and waking up sometimes feeling like shit.So I am not riding any high horse I just thought this was some news that you wouldnt hear from the village.
    Ok, I'm sorry if it got on your nerves and I see where you're coming from. Accept all my apologies, I thought you couldn't take a joke and of course this is great news.

    Thanks for posting, I may add.

    Which stage have taken your myasthenia? I know 2 people who suffer from it and never heard about any medicine which could help in remission.
    Acupunctury seems to hold a lot of pain for both of them, though.

    Idance

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Muskogee.Oklahoma
    Posts
    9,424
    Quote Originally Posted by the crackhouse View Post
    Ok, I'm sorry if it got on your nerves and I see where you're coming from. Accept all my apologies, I thought you couldn't take a joke and of course this is great news.

    Thanks for posting, I may add.

    Which stage have taken your myasthenia? I know 2 people who suffer from it and never heard about any medicine which could help in remission.
    Acupunctury seems to hold a lot of pain for both of them, though.

    Idance
    Thank you.I had a thymectomy(?)and with medication I am stable but one bout with a cold or flu and it could be lights out
    "On the sixth day, God created man. On the seventh day, man returned the favor."
    http://www.house-mixes.com/profile/djchefron

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    8,625
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazenMuse View Post
    Please. I have deaf cousins and friends who get their life on a dancefloor!
    Learn SUBWOOFERS!

    ** Crackhouse...I know you hadn't nefarious intent here...there are some other's I'd truly be gunning for.**
    Brazen, you know I can crack some jokes here and there but will never try to be mean. All apologizes, I had and have many friends and some family members who are/were disabled, into some tough illness, and they always taught me to laugh out loud and enjoy life till it remains.

    I'm full of love for anyone and since there's a human condition, whatever it could be, I try to give myself to the max and never forgive that I'm that person, being the potential I have to be ill, have an accident and go the same path.

    Idance

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Your mum's
    Posts
    38,754
    there's a deaf community? jmj made a funny

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    8,625
    Quote Originally Posted by dj-chefron View Post
    Thank you.I had a thymectomy(?)and with medication I am stable but one bout with a cold or flu and it could be lights out
    Stable, that's fine!
    Lights out can come in a snap, but I understand you're caring more than us who can't see how close could be that point.

    Idance

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    19,855
    Quote Originally Posted by the crackhouse View Post
    Brazen, you know I can crack some jokes here and there but will never try to be mean. All apologizes, I had and have many friends and some family members who are/were disabled, into some tough illness, and they always taught me to laugh out loud and enjoy life till it remains.

    I'm full of love for anyone and since there's a human condition, whatever it could be, I try to give myself to the max and never forgive that I'm that person, being the potential I have to be ill, have an accident and go the same path.

    Idance
    to you both...
    www.myspace.com/templedynasty
    www.myspace.com/brazenmuse
    www.myspace.com/feliciatemple
    www.myspace.com/robdanoizetemple
    http://www.youtube.com/feliciatemple
    Louie "Lou" Gorbea:
    http://www.podomatic.com/profile/lgorbea and http://lougorbea.com/
    Mark Mendoza (280 West): markmendozamixes.blogspot.com
    "I'd rather have the kind of clear conscience that comes from doing what's right than the kind that comes from ignoring what's wrong." Me...8/13/07

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    8,625
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazenMuse View Post
    to you both...
    We're soooo cool, you know...

    Idance

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    NYcity
    Posts
    48,084
    Quote Originally Posted by the crackhouse View Post
    Deaf people ever understood our music... Why post?

    Idance
    I Am Almost Keeping It Real

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    19,855
    Quote Originally Posted by liL Ray View Post
    dude...ur late, we already sang "kumbaya" and had milk n cookies...
    www.myspace.com/templedynasty
    www.myspace.com/brazenmuse
    www.myspace.com/feliciatemple
    www.myspace.com/robdanoizetemple
    http://www.youtube.com/feliciatemple
    Louie "Lou" Gorbea:
    http://www.podomatic.com/profile/lgorbea and http://lougorbea.com/
    Mark Mendoza (280 West): markmendozamixes.blogspot.com
    "I'd rather have the kind of clear conscience that comes from doing what's right than the kind that comes from ignoring what's wrong." Me...8/13/07

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •