Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Happened.. No House On Radio..

Quote Originally Posted by DeesKo View Post
    how bout this...

but yes, everyone's right, it's everyone else's fault.
    You do realize that none of the people that that remark can be directed to in this thread make music....

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneT View Post
    I blame Cathy Hughes/RadioOne and Clearchannel.
    I second this motion again and again. It seems like all black or urban stations are either primarily oldies (70's-80's music) or rap/ hip hop both with a with a bit of new school R & B thrown in for good measure. Even smooth jazz has been but cut out of the mix here in NYC. The big boys and girls figured out how to be like the Home Depots and Walmarts of the world. In making radio a more efficent business model musical innovation was killed off when radio started to clone itself all around the country. In the past it was program directors like Frankie Crocker who gave a station a true identity. Stations are now programmed with a very short list of music often relying an outside consulting service that uses listening tests to generate the short list. Perhaps a few loose dollars can get a song or two on the list. I really can't figure out how a dance or jazz music artist can fathom to listen to the radio let alone make a living in music unless they get a huge break. When I am riding in a car with radio as the only option I will choose a talk show over a continous loop of the same old tracks. Edited dance music tracks or not free radio would still resort to being tired!

There are indie stations playing house music. Jeannie Hopper here in NYC, Kristi in LA. It's out there, probably representing approximately what the demand from the public actually is. What percent of people really dig house music and want to hear it? What percent of indie radio stations' programming is house music? I think it's about equal.

As far as mainstream and commercial radio goes, I don't think you're understanding how that works. Those radio stations play whatever they're PAID to play. They could give a fuck what it is. They actually got busted a few years ago for payola. It was all over the news. It didn't change a thing.

On a positive note, more people have been turning off their radios and listening to online radio, where they have real options. I realllly hope the current FM radio model breaks.

I blame Cathy Hughes/RadioOne and Clearchannel.
    YEP!!!!

Some Chicago DJ's Help this trend too but.....that is a whole other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ebot9000 View Post
    There are indie stations playing house music. Jeannie Hopper here in NYC, Kristi in LA. It's out there, probably representing approximately what the demand from the public actually is. What percent of people really dig house music and want to hear it? What percent of indie radio stations' programming is house music? I think it's about equal.

As far as mainstream and commercial radio goes, I don't think you're understanding how that works. Those radio stations play whatever they're PAID to play. They could give a fuck what it is. They actually got busted a few years ago for payola. It was all over the news. It didn't change a thing.

On a positive note, more people have been turning off their radios and listening to online radio, where they have real options. I realllly hope the current FM radio model breaks.
    People don't want to hear that, you make too much sense.
    Martino's criteria for mixes:
    Quote Originally Posted by martino View Post
    I want to hear something with some peaks and valleys (that make some kind of transitional sense), no key clashing (unless it somehow works in a tension building way), no vocal clashing, and overall good energy and maybe a bit drama happening would be cool.
    Myron's Library Blog: http://myronslibraryworld.wordpress.com/
    Myron's Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/mr_intensity

And there you have it.

No pay - no play.

And deep house don't pay (for much of anything)......JMJ
    THE DHP KING OF EDITS

JMJ - Off The Deep End - Now on DHP Radio - Friday 3pm-5pm EST - http://dhpradio.com/jmj-off-the-deep-end.html
    Facebook me: facebook.com/kingofedits
    Podomatic me: http://jmjeditking.podomatic.com/
    Soundcloud me: http://soundcloud.com/jmj-edits

2007 & 2010 Deep House Fantasy Football Champion
    2011 & 2012 back-to-back DHP Fantasy Baseball Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    And there you have it.

No pay - no play.

And deep house don't pay (for much of anything)......JMJ
    Shame on you JMJ!!!

All these Chicago House Music DJ's turned Producers that have their own lable and bragging on DHP about their new release that is being sold on Tracksource???

Cha Ching

Woo.........I can't breeve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LEONARD REMIX RROY View Post
    Shame on you JMJ!!!

All these Chicago House Music DJ's turned Producers that have their own lable and bragging on DHP about their new release that is being sold on Tracksource???

Cha Ching

Woo.........I can't breeve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Well, there's certainly nothing wrong with producing AND having your own label - cut out the middle man (except that most are distributed by someone else, hence the middle man again)

You still have to have the ability and money to market your product though, and that's where alot of music gets lost in the shuffle.

Radio hits just aren't being made on $1000 budgets, and that's not a swipe at anybody - just a fact.

Better to go after commercial and video game money in my opinion. The door to big time radio is closed for the most part.....JMJ
    THE DHP KING OF EDITS

JMJ - Off The Deep End - Now on DHP Radio - Friday 3pm-5pm EST - http://dhpradio.com/jmj-off-the-deep-end.html
    Facebook me: facebook.com/kingofedits
    Podomatic me: http://jmjeditking.podomatic.com/
    Soundcloud me: http://soundcloud.com/jmj-edits

2007 & 2010 Deep House Fantasy Football Champion
    2011 & 2012 back-to-back DHP Fantasy Baseball Champion

As a part time RADIO ONE employee, I approve this message!!
    I Don't Play For DJ'S!!

Friday Good Vibrations - Every Friday 2:30pm-4:30pm http://www.handzonradio.fm

Friday Night, Spinning @ Club 347 in Baltimore 347 N. Calvert St.

Saturday Night, Spinning @ Identity Ultra Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by likewater View Post
    We need to get back into rotation.. Find a way to be heard on the Radio.. who do you know in the Radio industry.. how is it hip hop can get on and You can't you have history in the business, been out for 30yrs.. do you still have pull.. no more people like Frankie Crocker..

I'm with you on this comment, We need to get it back on rotation , driving in this morning i had my Zune on listening to what my house music. We need to be like in Europe you can hear house any and every where, you go the stores they are playing it you turn on the radio they are playing it, cafes, etc.

We really need to get some strong voices and make a stand. We can't even be heard on Sirius or XM now you know thats a damn shame.

What Happened.. No House On Radio..

ebot9000, Frankie Crocker was getting mad money to run cats plates on BLS, During the 80's(Especially from Hiphop cats/LOL), On the low, The true reason why, Hiphop continues to dominate the radio circuit, Since the early 80's, Is, hiphop cats get alot of the money to fund and promote their material, Via the Drug circuit/LOL(Example: Irv Gotti getting the money to start up his label, Via, Irv Gotti's association with Supreme from Jamaica,Queens, During the 90's/2000's,

The Feratudo(Lance, Tony,Todd), Brothers from Jamaica,Queens, Association with Fly Ty(Juice Crew), And, Magic(Mr Magic from BLS), Slyvia and Joe Robinson's(Sugar Hill records), Assocation with criminal cats from Uptown/Harlem, During the 80's, Etc, Cats can give program directors, Alot more money, To run their plates(Payola), When, A cat has unlimited financial resources to do so, Coming from Criminal cats/LOL.

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes
    Last edited by Mike Barnes; 04-16-2010 at 11:28 AM.

I feel that we need to have a Meeting of the minds in Radio.. is it to late to have a forum with the heads of the radio business of each station.. Kiss, Bls, Hot 97.. and even KTU.. maybe it's the way we present the music.. HOUSE .. maybe if we go back to calling it what it is.. CLUB MUSIC.. and go back to footwork.. so if You have points on your song How are the singers and You getting paid, with no commerical air time.. or do they have you put Points on anymore.. shit if your spending a good 2000.00 everyweekend on a party for one night just to have someone sing 1 song then Your.. Kookoo for Coco Puffs..

And whats wrong with the singers of the past.. they still sing.. they still have fans.. and CHNAGE is Beautiful Thing.. THEY had strength.. and can sing..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barnes View Post
    ebot9000, Frankie Crocker was getting mad money to run cats plates on BLS, During the 80's(Especially from Hiphop cats/LOL), On the low, The true reason why, Hiphop continues to dominate the radio circuit, Since the early 80's, Is, hiphop cats get alot of the money to fund and promote their material, Via the Drug circuit/LOL(Example: Irv Gotti getting the money to start up his label, Via, Irv Gotti's association with Supreme from Jamaica,Queens, During the 90's/2000's,

The Feratudo(Lance, Tony,Todd), Brothers from Jamaica,Queens, Association with Fly Ty(Juice Crew), And, Magic(Mr Magic from BLS), Slyvia and Joe Robinson's(Sugar Hill records), Assocation with criminal cats from Uptown/Harlem, During the 80's, Etc, Cats can give program directors, Alot more money, To run their plates(Payola), When, A cat has unlimited financial resources to do so, Coming from Criminal cats/LOL.

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes
    I don't doubt this at all. I had a meeting with an oldschool radio promoter (still at the top of his game) who the older folks were telling me basically ran with the italian mafia of radio promotion back in the 70s/80s. They'd pay you well to play their cuts, and if you didn't you'd catch some serious pressure.

I can't comment on how the business is run now but my sense while it isn't as dangerous it's still criminal - you still have to flip some serious bills to get airtime, and you still have to go through old channels since payola isn't actually legal. It's something along the lines of - you pay a radio promoter who has the relationships and then he pays off the stations behind the scenes for you.

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes
    Hey Mike,
    didn't Frankie spent like 2+ years in jail for payola?
    (\_/) "Recognizeth an attention
    (O.-)whore when thou doth sees
    (___) it, and then ignoreth its ass" - SuzanneT 1:1

"Change happens when the pain of holding on becomes greater than the fear of letting go." Spencer Johnson

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music. Angela Monet

"There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't" -unknown

SuzanneT, I don't recall, Frankie Crocker doing a push upnorth for anything, Though, I do recall the payola incident, During the mid 70's, In regards to Frankie Crocker, Going to trial for excepting payoffs to run plates, And, I do recall a young lady, Accusing, Frankie Crocker of rape, In New York, During the mid/late 80's, But, From what i remember, The rape charge was never brought to trial against Frankie Crocker, During the mid/late 80's

Though, I do remember, Frankie Crocker, Leaving BLS, For Los Angeles, Shortly, After the rape accusation(Coincidence/LOL), SuzanneT, Frankie Crocker was a regular at Bentley's(Money/Frankie Crocker, Used to have mad young ladies on his, At the bar, Downstairs at

Bentley's, During the early to mid 80's/LOL), Suzanne, Do you remember G.Keith Alexander(Who was an intern for Frankie Crocker at BLS, During the late 70's/early 80's, Then, G.Keith Alexander was down with Kiss-Fm, During the early to mid 80's), Frankie Crocker

Was mad crew with Reggie Wells, Hollywood, Eddie Chebba, Les Love(Superstar Disco on 34thst and 8thave in Manhattan, During the mid 70's to early 80's), Grandmaster Flowers, Pete Dj Jones, Maboya, Etc, Suzanne, What's mad funny to me, Is, The many cats, Who

Pop that about Frankie Crocker, Not being down with hiphop(Yet, Money was crew with more than a few hiphop cats, During the 70's/80's/LOL), Suzanne, Frankie Crocker used to hang at the Hotel Diplomat(Legendary hiphop spot on 43rdst and 7thave in Manhattan,

During the mid 70's to Early 80's), Well, Frankie Crocker used to hang at the Hotel Diplomat, Sporting a Black Maxi-Fur coat(With shades/LOL), When cats like Hollywood, Les Love, Eddie Chebba, Etc, Were rockin at the Diplomat(Though, Cats did not know, What Frankie Crocker looked like, So, Cats assumed Frankie Crocker was not down with the

Hiphop circuit/LOL), Suzanne, Most of the cats who made hiphop plates, From 1979 to the early 80's, Were giving a choice, By Frankie Crocker, In regards to having a cats plate, Run on BLS, You had to pay Frankie Crocker to get a plate run/LOL, Suzanne, My man Troy

From uptown/Harlem, Has more than a few interviews with cats, Who made hiphop plates, Going back to 1979, Stating that Frankie Crocker wanted money, To run a cats hiphop plate(That's why, Alot of hiphop cats, Pop that Frankie Crocker, Did not like hiphop nonsense,

Because, Cats had to pay Frankie Crocker to get their plates on the air on BLS, During the late 70's to mid 80's/LOL, Frankie Crocker was the first cat on the airwaves, To create a mixshow for Dj's on the radio in 1975(Tee Scott and Dave Brockington were the very first

Dj's to mix on the Radio on BLS in 1975, Well, The first few weeks, Tee Scott and Dave Brockington, Submitted cartridge tapes to Frankie Crocker to have cats run on BLS, Because, Tee Scott was mixing at Better Days, And, Dave Brockington was mixing on the Dj circuit in New York at Various spots, So Tee Scott and Dave Brockington, Did not have

The time to come to the station to mix, Live on BLS at first in 1975(The mix shows used to start at 12midnight to 2am and sometimes from 2am to 6am, On Friday and Saturday nights, During the mid 70's to early 80's.

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

http://home.eznet.net/~gc/radiogreats/fcobit.htm

"In the mid-1970's, Mr. Crocker was indicted in Newark on charges of making false statements before a federal grand jury investigating allegations of criminal conduct in the recording industry. Mr. Crocker was accused of lying to the grand jury when he denied receiving money from record company representatives to promote their records. He was convicted, but the conviction was later overturned."

Hey Mike,
    didn't Frankie spent like 2+ years in jail for payola?
    I think Paco from WKTU in NY went to jail for a bit.

John Crockett, I do recall Paco from KTU, Doing a push upnorth in the 80's, Though i cannot remember the charges that Paco was convicted of, My man, John, Do you know if Paco was upnorth for payola charges at KTU, My man, Also, Whenever i see or hear Paco's

Name mentioned, I immediately think of Carlos DeJesus, From Hot-Tracks and KTU, Fame, During the early to mid 80's/LOL, If i remember correctly, G.Keith Alexander, Was down with KTU, For a while, During the 80's too/LOL.

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

SuzanneT, I don't recall, Frankie Crocker doing a push upnorth for anything, Though, I do recall the payola incident, During the mid 70's, In regards to Frankie Crocker, Going to trial for excepting payoffs to run plates, And, I do recall a young lady, Accusing, Frankie Crocker of rape, In New York, During the mid/late 80's, But, From what i remember, The rape charge was never brought to trial against Frankie Crocker, During the mid/late 80's

Though, I do remember, Frankie Crocker, Leaving BLS, For Los Angeles, Shortly, After the rape accusation(Coincidence/LOL), SuzanneT, Frankie Crocker was a regular at Bentley's(Money/Frankie Crocker, Used to have mad young ladies on his, At the bar, Downstairs at

Bentley's, During the early to mid 80's/LOL), Suzanne, Do you remember G.Keith Alexander(Who was an intern for Frankie Crocker at BLS, During the late 70's/early 80's, Then, G.Keith Alexander was down with Kiss-Fm, During the early to mid 80's), Frankie Crocker

Was mad crew with Reggie Wells, Hollywood, Eddie Chebba, Les Love(Superstar Disco on 34thst and 8thave in Manhattan, During the mid 70's to early 80's), Grandmaster Flowers, Pete Dj Jones, Maboya, Etc, Suzanne, What's mad funny to me, Is, The many cats, Who

Pop that about Frankie Crocker, Not being down with hiphop(Yet, Money was crew with more than a few hiphop cats, During the 70's/80's/LOL), Suzanne, Frankie Crocker used to hang at the Hotel Diplomat(Legendary hiphop spot on 43rdst and 7thave in Manhattan,

During the mid 70's to Early 80's), Well, Frankie Crocker used to hang at the Hotel Diplomat, Sporting a Black Maxi-Fur coat(With shades/LOL), When cats like Hollywood, Les Love, Eddie Chebba, Etc, Were rockin at the Diplomat(Though, Cats did not know, What Frankie Crocker looked like, So, Cats assumed Frankie Crocker was not down with the

Hiphop circuit/LOL), Suzanne, Most of the cats who made hiphop plates, From 1979 to the early 80's, Were giving a choice, By Frankie Crocker, In regards to having a cats plate, Run on BLS, You had to pay Frankie Crocker to get a plate run/LOL, Suzanne, My man Troy

From uptown/Harlem, Has more than a few interviews with cats, Who made hiphop plates, Going back to 1979, Stating that Frankie Crocker wanted money, To run a cats hiphop plate(That's why, Alot of hiphop cats, Pop that Frankie Crocker, Did not like hiphop nonsense,

Because, Cats had to pay Frankie Crocker to get their plates on the air on BLS, During the late 70's to mid 80's/LOL, Frankie Crocker was the first cat on the airwaves, To create a mixshow for Dj's on the radio in 1975(Tee Scott and Dave Brockington were the very first

Dj's to mix on the Radio on BLS in 1975, Well, The first few weeks, Tee Scott and Dave Brockington, Submitted cartridge tapes to Frankie Crocker to have cats run on BLS, Because, Tee Scott was mixing at Better Days, And, Dave Brockington was mixing on the Dj circuit in New York at Various spots, So Tee Scott and Dave Brockington, Did not have

The time to come to the station to mix, Live on BLS at first in 1975(The mix shows used to start at 12midnight to 2am and sometimes from 2am to 6am, On Friday and Saturday nights, During the mid 70's to early 80's.

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes
    Hi Mike,
    I found a couple of old articles. He got a year and a day sentence but couldve gotten 5 years.

http://books.google.com/books?id=GL8...20jail&f=false

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=2803,4429348

http://www.superseventies.com/sdmc_86_Feb_77.html
    (\_/) "Recognizeth an attention
    (O.-)whore when thou doth sees
    (___) it, and then ignoreth its ass" - SuzanneT 1:1

"Change happens when the pain of holding on becomes greater than the fear of letting go." Spencer Johnson

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music. Angela Monet

"There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't" -unknown

No More radio personalities to work with.. No More true gamers.. call it what it is.. CLUB MUSIC.. Support Your Local Radio Station

What Happened.. No House On Radio

Dj Poppysoul, SuzanneT, Good lookin in regards to the information on Frankie Crocker, Doing a push upnorth(That explains why Lamar Renee, Was on the air, From 4pm to 8pm,

Monday thru friday on BLS, For while, During the late 70's(Frankie Crocker used to work the 4pm to 8pm shift, Monday thru Friday, During the 70's).

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

John Crockett, I do recall Paco from KTU, Doing a push upnorth in the 80's, Though i cannot remember the charges that Paco was convicted of, My man, John, Do you know if Paco was upnorth for payola charges at KTU, My man, Also, Whenever i see or hear Paco's

Name mentioned, I immediately think of Carlos DeJesus, From Hot-Tracks and KTU, Fame, During the early to mid 80's/LOL, If i remember correctly, G.Keith Alexander, Was down with KTU, For a while, During the 80's too/LOL.

Much Respect
    Mike Barnes
    I remember Ny hot tracks.First place i saw Shannon"give me the night" and madonna borderline.Used to watch this and Friday night videos,of course i was one only 1 years old then Mike in 1984.
    As I proceed to civilize the uncivilized
    Word to wisdom from the groove to the wise
    I guess im the verbalizer for the fact im moving blackwards
    This asiatic blackman is a dog spelled backwards

Brand Nubian dropping science.

Guess in hindsight you could say Frankie kept it real on all fronts. He had personality (I caught a few concerts where he was MC including the Jackson Five) and I have to admit he had you excited even before the show started. He had a household name outside the borders of the WBLS airwaves way before the web and modern media made it easy and had street credibility as well. Mike Barnes do you remember Frankie's line "If Frankie Crocker isn't on your radio then your radio isn't really on."

Quote Originally Posted by upliftdisco365 View Post
    I think Paco from WKTU in NY went to jail for a bit.
    Paco was caught on a drug beef.