PDA

View Full Version : Hip-hop stations don't play house?

ultra
10-24-2003, 10:29 AM
Think again...on Power 105.1 in NYC right now...

"This is Ska"...of course they started with "Follow Me" but the point is the music is getting exposure outside of this scene.

Latifah's "Come into my House","Break For Love", etc.

[ October 24, 2003, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: ultra ]

la verde
10-24-2003, 10:32 AM
hey, you gotta take it where you can... It could be worse...

ultra
10-24-2003, 10:47 AM
hehe now "Percolator" is on...yeah yeah, it's all old and played out shit, but hell, it's SOMETHING like la verde said.

Jamie 3:26
10-24-2003, 10:48 AM
What's the request line number?I want to request Dangerous on the dancefloor and Wiggle it...

GROOVE VICTIM
10-24-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by JAMIE 3:26:
What's the request line number?I want to request Dangerous on the dancefloor and Wiggle it... yeah yeah yeah.......

Back in the day when we were wearing Paisley Shirts.

Umen, Z Cavoricci, Marry-Go-Round, The Structure...ahhh the memories

CG63
10-24-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by ultra:
hehe now "Percolator" is on...yeah yeah, it's all old and played out shit, but hell, it's SOMETHING like la verde said. I've been noticing a lot of kids a pumping songs like Perculator and Beat dat bitch with a bat type songs.

kev
10-24-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by JAMIE 3:26:
What's the request line number?I want to request Dangerous on the dancefloor and Wiggle it... What? No Fast Eddie?

DJ Rated M
10-24-2003, 11:00 AM
even wack ass Power 99 in Philly plays Perculator, Follow Me, I Get Lifted(beats), Break 4 Love, and Make It happy but they play the same joints in a different order each time....

houseaddict
10-24-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by DJ Rated M:
even wack ass Power 99 in Philly plays Perculator, Follow Me, I Get Lifted(beats), Break 4 Love, and Make It happy but they play the same joints in a different order each time.... I was in the station a couple weeks ago while Cosmic Kec was on. I actually spoke to him about doing a house show similar to what Ruben Toro does here in NY on 98.7. He suggested it a while ago, but the PD at the time got layed off shorthyl thereafter and he feels as though he doesn't want to rock the boat" at this point. It's bound to happen sooner or later.

statuskuo
10-24-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by GROOVE VICTIM:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JAMIE 3:26:
What's the request line number?I want to request Dangerous on the dancefloor and Wiggle it... yeah yeah yeah.......
Back in the day when we were wearing Paisley Shirts. Umen, Z Cavoricci, Marry-Go-Round, ..ahhh the memories </font>[/QUOTE]Black guidos make good DJs.

statuskuo
10-24-2003, 02:42 PM
They should start playing some good disco edits, re0edits and stuff.. hell, even well-produced filtered disco would turn the foreign ears on.

[ October 24, 2003, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: statuskuo ]

DLow
10-24-2003, 02:42 PM
This is cool. Now if we could somehow nudge these folks towards a wider variety of house music, we'd really be on our way.

How do you get past the PD? Or better yet, how do we cast an influence on the PD to play a wider variety?

FemalePhenom
10-24-2003, 04:04 PM
even wack ass Power 99 in Philly plays Perculator, Follow Me, I Get Lifted(beats), Break 4 Love, and Make It happy but they play the same joints in a different order each time.... Yeah, they play the same mix everytime :rolleyes: WDAS on Saturday nights used to have good house mixes, but they like others fall into the same stuff, I get pissed when Follow Me comes on....it is classic, but damn! graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

la verde
10-25-2003, 07:00 AM
man.. i'd listen to- for those who like to groove, wiggle it, do what you wanna, let the rhythm pump, stomp, spin that wheel etc... and everything else in between instead of crap they push on radio today... shit, "follow me" would be a treat!

DJ Rated M
10-25-2003, 11:40 AM
House Addict....99 used to slam back in the day with house when Tee Alford was spinning on the station. i'm not sure if they can get thay vibe again due to the fake Hip-Flop that they play.....

FP............they do play the same mixes. a couple of us e-mailed Doc B and told him that he sucks...he got mad as hell....LOL

Mike Barnes
10-25-2003, 12:38 PM
Say Rated M, Do you remember a cat who used to mix on Power 99 in Philadelphia in the early 90's named Jeff Mills who used to mix on Friday nites(Dance music)i think from 12midnight to 2am, Also, EC La Rock used to mix on WDAS in the early to mid 90's from 4am to5am(Dance music)on Friday nites and he would give you a listing of all the records that he played at the end of the show(LOL), A cat by the name of Bruser would sometimes mix on Ec La Rock's show back then, Also, Do you remember Dj Rand who used to mix on DAS rocking the rap joints in the early to mid 90's.
Later
Mike Barnes

Ron la Rock
10-25-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Derrick:
This is cool. Now if we could somehow nudge these folks towards a wider variety of house music, we'd really be on our way.

How do you get past the PD? Or better yet, how do we cast an influence on the PD to play a wider variety? (da answer)
by way of the "REAL WORLD"
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

DJ Skillz
10-25-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Mike Barnes:
Say Rated M, Do you remember a cat who used to mix on Power 99 in Philadelphia in the early 90's named Jeff Mills who used to mix on Friday nites(Dance music)i think from 12midnight to 2am, Also, EC La Rock used to mix on WDAS in the early to mid 90's from 4am to5am(Dance music)on Friday nites and he would give you a listing of all the records that he played at the end of the show(LOL), A cat by the name of Bruser would sometimes mix on Ec La Rock's show back then, Also, Do you remember Dj Rand who used to mix on DAS rocking the rap joints in the early to mid 90's.
Later
Mike Barnes Yo Mike, Ran is still doing his thing. He heads up the Tech.Nitions crew (DJ's from all over the US, mostly mix show cats). Ran is a funny cat too!!

Master Kev
10-25-2003, 11:14 PM
Later
Mike Barnes Wow, the memories Mike!! I just found a couple of tapes from when I played on WDAS in 1991. Bruser was the hip-hop DJ, Big D and EC would play the house....I was a guest about 8 times or so on there. My boy lived in Philly back then, so I would drive down there on Friday night and listen to Tony on Kiss most of the way until I couldn't get Kiss FM on the dial anymore. I would get to the station about 3, chill out for an hour and play house from 4-4:45 or so then Big D or EC LaRock would play the last 15 minutes.
I remember playing "Let's Get Jazzy" by KC FLightt and they went nuts at the station...hahah, I had a really cool time ....do they still play any house on Friday nights??
If I'm ever down in Philly anytime soon, I would love to pop in on them

Peace

sammyrock
10-26-2003, 06:50 AM
even wack ass Power 99 in Philly plays Perculator, Follow Me, I Get Lifted(beats), Break 4 Love, and Make It happy but they play the same joints in a different order each time.... HAHAHAHHAHHAHHA! YO M my brotha lets get into the comedy buiss...lol Hello there Ultra.. :D :D

DJ Rated M
10-26-2003, 07:49 AM
Later
Mike Barnes yeah Mike...i remember them all. EC used to be the man!!!! even Joe "Too Cool" Collari used to throw down some jointz as well.

DJ Rand was tight too. i was chillin with him at this ski trip that i went on and he was spinning at the parties....

Number Two
10-26-2003, 03:57 PM

Umen, Z Cavoricci, Marry-Go-Round, The Structure...ahhh the memories </font>[/QUOTE]Merry Go Round used to play some really good music in there. I would hear stuff like "Hey DJ(video),The Time-777-9311,etc. In fact I made one of my "pause button" mixes and gave a copy to my girlfriend at the time and she worked at Merry Go Round in 1985 and she played it in the store. Peace.

Cookiehead Jenkins
10-26-2003, 06:20 PM

Umen, Z Cavoricci, Marry-Go-Round, The Structure...ahhh the memories </font>[/QUOTE]smile.gif

GROOVE VICTIM
10-27-2003, 07:43 AM
Later
Mike Barnes Those were some good times back in the early 90s with Jeff Mills on Power 99 FM and Sean Jody Diaz on WDAS. Around 93 Q102 started getting into playing deep house but it never caught on.

Peace

JAMES74
10-27-2003, 10:15 AM
You know what??I still have some of those house mixes from WDAS back in 90.I am gonna pull them out.I remember hearing Crystal Waters She's Homeless for the first time on there.I would take a nap on Friday from 12 till about 2am then I think areound 4am to 5am they would play house!!Man that was the Shyt!!! smile.gif I wished they would still do that.....

eleeut
10-27-2003, 10:31 AM
Say Rated M, Do you remember a cat who used to mix on Power 99 in Philadelphia in the early 90's named Jeff Mills who used to mix on Friday nites(Dance music)i think from 12midnight to 2amout of curiousity, is that the same Jeff Mills from Detroit?

Mike Barnes
10-27-2003, 11:03 AM
Say Skillz, Good lookin with the information on Dj Rand, Speaking of Philadelphia Dj's, Whatever happened to Tat Money who used to be down the Steady B(Hilltop hustler crew)and Colby Cob(who used to be down with Power 99 rocking the rap music joints in the 90's, Also Dj Miz who was down with Freshco from Brooklyn and they made the joint 'We don't play in the early 90's, Say Kev, You used to mix on DAS in the early to mid 90's money, I will have go through some of my old tapes from back then to hear you rocking those very long blends that your well-known for, Say Kev,Rated M, Do you cats remember a spot in Philadelphia called the Limelight were EC Larock used to mix at in the early 90's(The spot was located on 10thst and Archst,across the street from the Trailways Bus Station in Center city/downtown Philadelphia), The spot was upstairs, Ec Larock could not go hard musically in there because the crowd was not up on club music(LOL), But, He(EcLarock)would sometimes play joints like, 'Let it roll', By Doug Lazy,Moody by ESG,Luv Dancin by Underground Solution(Roger Sanchez ,Club Lonely by Lil Louis,Finally by Ce ce Pinistion,etc, Also,Rated M, Speaking of your man Joe "Too Cool" Collari, Didn't he used to mix at a spot in Philadelphia called the Phoenix in the early to mid 90's(The spot changed it's name in the late 90's), The spot was located on 7thst and Archst a few minutes from the Ben Franklin Bridge, The Phoenix was like a Bently's type spot(commerical), But, I think i remember his name being mentioned for mixing there, On the Low, There used to be a spot for club music right next to the Phoenix in the early 90's(Very small spot, i cannot remember the name though), But, I remember my first time in there, And the cat who was mixing played 'Time Warp',by Eddie Grant(Instrumental version at that), And cleared the floor(LOL), I had to step after that(LOL). Say Eleeut, I could not get any information on Jeff Mills who used to mix on WDAS in Philadelphia, I heard there's a Jeff Mills in Detroit who is known for rocking Techno music, Tee Alford and Mark Coleman were know for rocking in spots in Philadelphia back in the 90's, And on the radio with there mix show which i think came out of the Princeton,New Jersey area.
Later
Mike Barnes

[ October 27, 2003, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Mike Barnes ]

GROOVE VICTIM
10-27-2003, 11:10 AM
Mr. Barnes, did you ever go to Mahorns, I'm not sure if that was in Philly or Cherry Hill. I recall clubs like Pulsations, and the Limelight, some other clubs that have slipped my mind for now.

Peace

DJ Rated M
10-27-2003, 11:35 AM
Mr. Barnes, did you ever go to Mahorns, I'm not sure if that was in Philly or Cherry Hill. I recall clubs like Pulsations, and the Limelight, some other clubs that have slipped my mind for now.

Peace Mahorns was in Cherry Hill......it was wack as hell for the music but the women were off da chainz...

Franchines had some slammin women too but was also wack on the music tip.

DJ Rated M
10-27-2003, 11:38 AM
Say Skillz, Good lookin with the information on Dj Rand, Speaking of Philadelphia Dj's, Whatever happened to Tat Money who used to be down the Steady B(Hilltop hustler crew)and Colby Cob(who used to be down with Power 99 rocking the rap music joints in the 90's, Also Dj Miz who was down with Freshco from Brooklyn and they made the joint 'We don't play in the early 90's, Say Kev, You used to mix on DAS in the early to mid 90's money, I will have go through some of my old tapes from back then to hear you rocking those very long blends that your well-known for, Say Kev,Rated M, Do you cats remember a spot in Philadelphia called the Limelight were EC Larock used to mix at in the early 90's(The spot was located on 10thst and Archst,across the street from the Trailways Bus Station in Center city/downtown Philadelphia), The spot was upstairs, Ec Larock could not go hard musically in there because the crowd was not up on club music(LOL), But, He(EcLarock)would sometimes play joints like, 'Let it roll', By Doug Lazy,Moody by ESG,Luv Dancin by Underground Solution(Roger Sanchez ,Club Lonely by Lil Louis,Finally by Ce ce Pinistion,etc, Also,Rated M, Speaking of your man Joe "Too Cool" Collari, Didn't he used to mix at a spot in Philadelphia called the Phoenix in the early to mid 90's(The spot changed it's name in the late 90's), The spot was located on 7thst and Archst a few minutes from the Ben Franklin Bridge, The Phoenix was like a Bently's type spot(commerical), But, I think i remember his name being mentioned for mixing there, On the Low, There used to be a spot for club music right next to the Phoenix in the early 90's(Very small spot, i cannot remember the name though), But, I remember my first time in there, And the cat who was mixing played 'Time Warp',by Eddie Grant(Instrumental version at that), And cleared the floor(LOL), I had to step after that(LOL). Say Eleeut, I could not get any information on Jeff Mills who used to mix on WDAS in Philadelphia, I heard there's a Jeff Mills in Detroit who is known for rocking Techno music, Tee Alford and Mark Coleman were know for rocking in spots in Philadelphia back in the 90's, And on the radio with there mix show which i think came out of the Princeton,New Jersey area.
Later
Mike Barnes Mike...

it was Mark's show and Terry was the resident DJ. it was called WPRB out of Princeton rocking every Thursday.....

the Limelight was hot on Sunday nights with Sean Diaz spinning......

Tell Alford used to throw some dope as jams in warehouses.....woohooooo

there was a joint on Spring Garden(i can't remember the name right now but it will come back to me) that my boy Gusto rocked a few times....

they had some deep Philly headz then.....

[ October 27, 2003, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: DJ Rated M ]

GROOVE VICTIM
10-27-2003, 11:42 AM
Don't get me started on WPRB in Princeton. They started out on Thursday nights, then they went to Fridays with Mark Coleman. They brought some serious heat those nights!!

Peace

Mike Barnes
10-27-2003, 12:06 PM
Say Groove, I used to hangout at Mahorn's for a few in the early to mid 90's(Mahorn's was located in Cherry Hill on route 70East), Very commercial spot musically though, I've even seen Rick Mahorn getting loose on the floor(Which is some funny shit, But, I would never say this to his face though), I remember seeing people like Angela Stribling, Tommy Davidson,Joe Torry(The comedian),Nona Hendryx(From Labelle),etc in Mahorn's when it first opened, To me, Mahorn's was alright when it first opened in the early 90's, But, The spot faded out as time went on very quickly, Also, There used to be a Hiphop night on Sunday nights at Mahorn's, That was always buckwild with shootouts(To many cats looking to start trouble that would somehow get into the spot,Mahorn's changed it's style musically in 1994, I remember going there one night back then and another cat was mixing who was nice(The cats name was Darrell), And this cat was playing techno,Rap,Old school Rap,commercial radio joints, But, For a stretch of about 45 minutes, He was rocking hard, Playing joints like, 'If you should ever be lonely', by Val Young, 'Smack Dab in the middle', by Janice Mcclain,'I feel alright', By Tomiko, 'In the name of Love', by Sharon Redd,Dyin to be Dancin', By Empress,etc, The spot died down after a few months though(Mahorn's could have come off, But the cats/young Ladies in the South Jersey/Philadelphia area are not up on Dance music(It's a shame with all of the History and respect that the city of Philadelphia has had through the decades when it comes to Dance music),The name Sean Jody Diaz reminds me of 'One House street', Which was taped at a spot called the Woodbine Inn in Pennsuaken,New Jersey,Say Groove, Do you remember when cats would stomp on the floor and shake the turntables casuing the record to skip alot while Sean Jody Diaz was mixing(Homes had his turntables right on the Dance floor). The funniest thing about Mahorn's is, In the front of the spot as soon as you go through the door, There used to be a very big picture of Rick Mahorn throwing it(Dunking, Not on someone though), For all of us who remember Rick Mahorn from his playing days at Hampton Institute in Virginia,The Washington Bullets,Detroit Pistons,Philadelphia 76'ers, We all know that Rick Mahorn cannot get up(Jump/LOL).
Later
Mike Barnes

GROOVE VICTIM
10-27-2003, 12:10 PM
Mike, there used to be a show called "One House Street" that used the same dance floor as "Club USA" that used to air on the USA network. Sean Jody Diaz was the DJ there and I recall many times watching that show and the records would skip all over the place. Sean played alot of good records, "Love so Special", alot of Nu Groove records, Strictly Rhythm, Blaze, you name it. The show lasted about 6 episodes in Philly 57 until it was cancelled.

Peace

andrea
10-27-2003, 12:32 PM
Hi: here in LA, Power 106 is a hip hop station but on saturday/sunday nite/morning you can listen to the full range of house on Power Tools with Richard Humpty Vission. 2:00 a.m to 4:00 a.m. It used to be a 50% house and 50% hip hop station, but we are lucky to have these two hours.

105.9 FM

Master Kev
10-27-2003, 12:41 PM
Hey Mike...I played at The Phoenix one night with EC LaRock back in late 1991 early 92. The vibe was kind of wack, they weren't really feeling the NYC style house at all...BUT yes the women were indeed fine as hell :D
And same for Mahorns...I didn't actually play there, but I did stop through one night on my way back to NYC from PA...I had heard Eric Coston broadcasting live from there, so I had decided to stop in....and it was PACKED in there...

I just found a couple od the DAS tapes from when I played there in late 91...I was nervous as hell...he put me on the mic one time and I was like "uhh, blah blah" all nervous and stuff :D
That was one of the first times I ever played on Technics 1200's as well...but it was a really cool experience...
Does anyone have any contact info for EC LaRock?
I would love to get in touch with him sometime

Peace

shannoneileen
10-27-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by CG63:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ultra:
hehe now "Percolator" is on...yeah yeah, it's all old and played out shit, but hell, it's SOMETHING like la verde said. I've been noticing a lot of kids a pumping songs like Perculator and Beat dat bitch with a bat type songs. </font>[/QUOTE]i downloaded (shhh don't tell) a lot of the Baltimore Club Queen music... K-Swift and uh... i forgot his name... but the point i was getting to is yeah the kids are doing the perculator type songs... it's a combo of house and booty bass... put ya leg up, i'm a big gurl now... etc. is that just a bmore thing or what? i like it tho...

ultra
10-27-2003, 12:44 PM
Keep in mind that my original post was at 12:30PM on a weekday, y'all.

JAMES74
10-27-2003, 01:44 PM
MAHORNS!!!WHAT MEMORIES.....:)I USED TO LIVE LIKE 20 MINS FROM THERE...MAN IT WAS WILD!!SUNDAYS WILD YOUNG ADULT NITE AND IT GOT STUPID.UNFORTUNATELY I WAS ONLY ABOUT 17 OR 18 THEN BUT THE MUSIC WUZ USUALLY WACK.I ALSO REMEMBER ONE HOUSE STREET.FAST EDDIE I THINK DROPPED BY THERE TOO ONE TIME AND REMEMBER DANCE PARTY USA HE AND SUNDANCE PERFORMED GIT ON UP ON THERE TOO!!THOSE WHERE THE DAYZ...MARK COLEMAN USED TO WORK IN THIS STORE CALLED 611 DOWN OFF SOUTH STREET AND I USED TO GO IN THERE ALL THE TIME.I STILL ALSO HAVE SOME OF THOSE WPRB PRINCETON RADIO MIXES HE DID.

Mike Barnes
10-27-2003, 05:02 PM
Say Kev, I see you get around my man(LOL), You are most definitely right about the crowd at The Phoenix in Philadelphia money, Cats/young ladies who used to hangout there were not up on club music at all(You could get away with playing 'Follow me' or 'Let it roll', by Doug lazy though), But, That spot was most definitely about Rap and commericial radio music to the fullest, Mahorn's was the same thing as the Phoenix, But, I feel Mahorn's had the chance to give the crowd a good feel of what true Dance music is like and work it around the rap joints that cats used to play there at Mahorn's back then, But, Cats did not want to take chances on the fear of not only sweeping the floor(Cats/Young ladies not dancing), But, people not wanting to come to the spot because of the music(I feel cats could have eased the Dance msuic on to the crowd at Mahorn's, If givin the opportunity to do so, Say James74, Mark Coleman used to work at Sound of Marketst record store in Philadelphia on Marketst and i think 10thst in the late 90's(I met him around 1997 or so there), Very nice cat, Who definitely knows his music, And he's nice when it comes to rocking a spot.
Later
Mike Barnes

DJ Skillz
10-27-2003, 09:05 PM
Later
Mike Barnes Colby was in NYC for a minute, now he is the P.D. for 103.9 ColbyCC@aol.com Last I heard about Miz he was spinning at Static Night Club 22 S. 3rd St Philly, that was earlier this year. I know in 2000 he dropped The Illadelph Project. Tat Money is still spinning, he was in Thailand earlier this year. I know he rocked Fluid in Philly in May. Yo Mike, speaking of Philly cats this MC Jazz Fresh took out Kane in a battle in Philly in 1988. Had it on a tape back in the day too... Oops this post was about hip hop stations playing house...... Sorry Ultra (as in Ultramagnetic???)
:D

Mike Barnes
10-28-2003, 01:39 PM
Say Skillz, Good lookin with the information money, This cat McJazz Fresh from Philadelphia must have been very,very, Nice with his lyrically to come hard at Big Daddy Kane my man(Not to many cats that i've heard could go toe to toe against Big Daddy Kane), Say Ultra, I hope you don't mine that cats had to play 'Stickup kid', With your post(LOL). Later
Mike Barnes

ultra
10-28-2003, 02:17 PM
Wow you cats are really bringing me some memories from the early 90s! I remember speaking to Colby Colb and Rand many times back then while being a hip hop promoter.

Tee Alford was the shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!